Apart from chutneys and sambar,Idli podi makes a nice accompaniment for south Indian breakfast items like Idli and dosa.In general Idli podi or Karapodi is to be mixed with a liberal quantity of ghee which makes it more tasty to relish with idli. I have already posted the famous Andhra Nalla karam podi and also Tamilnadu style Milagai podi/Idli podi.Today's version is almost like Milagai podi and uses whole black urad instead of the whiter variety which makes it more nuttier and healthy.
(makes approx 1 cup podi)
shelf life: 1-2 months
1/2 cup whole Black Urad/lentils(Minumulu)
1/2 cup Chana dal
2 tbsp white Sesame seeds
8 Red chillies
Salt to taste
2 tsp Oil
- Heat 1 tsp oil and roast whole urad until it is roasted and crisp over medium flame.It takes roughly 5-7 mins.Remove it and keep it aside.
- Heat another tsp oil in the same kadai and roast chana dal until red and crisp.Remove and keep it aside.
- In the same kadai add red chillies until crisp and changes its color.Remove and let them cool
- Add sesame seeds to the same kadai and let them pop.It takes hardly a minute or two.Remove them on the plate.
- Once the ingredients are cooled down grind everything with salt(to taste) in the mixer to a coarse powder.
- Spread the mixture on a plate and once it is cooled pour into the air tight container and store it for a couple of months.
- You can replace whole black urad with the regular plain variety.
- You can add 2-3 garlic pods in the last round of grinding for a nice flavor.
- Addition of a fat pinch of hing also enhances the flavor of this podi.