1/2 cup Toor dal/Masoor dal/Moong dal
4-5 green chillies,slitted
1/4 tsp turmeric/haldi
1/4 tsp finely chopped ginger(optional)
2-3 tsp lemon juice
1 tbsp chopped coriander
salt to taste
1 tsp Cumin seeds/jeera
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
8-10 curry leaves
6-8 black peppercorns,slightly crushed
a pinch of hing/asafoetida
1 tsp ghee
- Pressure cook dal with little turmeric for 3 whistles until soft.Mash it with a back of laddle slightly.
- Add in enough water ,salt and let it come to a boil.
- In the Mean while heat ghee in the tadka pan and crackle mustard seeds and jeera.Add finely chopped ginger,crushed black pepper and green chillies and fry for a couple of minutes.
- Add curry leaves and hing and mix well.Pour this into the boiling rasam and add coriander leaves and let it boil.
- Now mix it properly and switch off the stove.
- Add lemon juice and give a stir.
- If you use masoor dal,you can directly cook it on the stove for 10-12 minutes and then proceed with the same procedure.
- Though moong dal and Toor dal can be cooked on the stove top,it takes bit longer to get cooked.So better cook them in the pressure cooker.
- Add lemon at the end after you switch off the stove,otherwise it will turn bitter.